Lojong Cards and Booklet

Lojong Cards and Booklet
This self-published deck and booklet are the intellectual property of Beverly King. Please do not copy or reproduce any photos or blog posts without permission.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Slogan Seventeen

Train in the Five Strengths.
From the Lojong for the Layperson booklet:
1) Strong determination - As spiritual warriors, we intentionally stay connected to our higher goals and maintain our practice. Yet we retain an attitude of appreciation and playfulness instead of drudgery and dread. 
2) Familiarization - Through repetition we establish new habits that we consciously cultivate. We begin to develop a natural response which brings us back to mindfulness and awareness.
3) Seed of virtue - This strength reminds us of who we really are - our human potential for wisdom, compassion, and loving-kindness.
4) Reproach - Instead of blaming ourselves, we see the ego as the cause of our suffering. We let it know we are aware of its habits that result in our pain, and we tell it we refuse to be fooled anymore.
5) Aspiration - Our vows help cut through negativity and serve to empower us. We commit to the service of others, cultivating mindfulness and loving-kindness, and attaining enlightenment. These aspirations give us an objective to keep working toward.
Photo: Mophead hydrangea bloom surrounded by five Kimberly Queen fern fronds.

            Sometimes it’s easier to understand a concept when I look at its opposite:
1) Strong determination becomes Lukewarm effort – I only practice when it’s convenient or when I have nothing else better to do.
2) Familiarization becomes Unnatural response – When I find myself in dire straits, I just react out of habit. I don’t do anything new because it doesn't feel comfortable.
3) Seed of virtue becomes Source of sin – I choose to believe people have a predisposition toward vice; this idea of human nature makes a convenient scapegoat for my unwillingness to change and my lack of kindness.
4) Reproach (of the ego) becomes Shame – I am worthless, so why even try? (Do you feel sorry for me?)
5) Aspiration becomes Aimless Apathy – Commitment and pledges require a sustained effort; I’d rather just spend time only doing what looks interesting or fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment