Lojong Cards and Booklet

Lojong Cards and Booklet
This self-published deck and booklet are the intellectual property of Beverly King. Please do not copy or reproduce any photos or blog posts without permission.

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Slogan Twenty-seven

Work with the greatest defilements first.
From the Lojong for the Layperson booklet:
            Judy Lief calls this precept “a great slogan for procrastinators,” because it requires that we look at what we avoid, put off or refuse to deal with. Defilements are inner obstacles – habitual patterns of thought or emotion. These obstacles sap our energy and block us from awakening our wisdom and compassion. Notice that the slogan says “work” rather than “eliminate,” which is more practical. Once we acknowledge which pattern is the most obvious and disturbing, we begin to pay attention to it and become willing to work at reducing it. As we begin to contain it, we lessen its strength until it becomes manageable. With perseverance, we continue to work on it until we are free of its hold over us.
Photo: A large pine tree limb next to a smaller maple branch.

            Herbalists might welcome a patch of dandelions in their yard, but lawn enthusiasts generally see them as weeds. Instead of a fibrous root system, these plants have a taproot – a thick, central root from which small, lateral roots sprout. Many folks attempt to eliminate dandelions by pulling them up by their leaves. Usually the top of the taproot will break off, leaving enough behind for it to sprout again. When I decide to work on my spiritual obstacles, I may choose one of my smaller habits (a leaf or two). For instance, if I notice a tendency to interrupt people during a discussion instead of listening, I might decide to practice keeping my mouth closed more to give them time to present their ideas. Yet instead of actually listening, I’m secretly planning what I’m going to say while they speak. The “taproot” of this behavior pattern is essentially self-centeredness. Though my ego doesn’t appreciate having this dominant issue pointed out, it is the underlying obstacle at which my efforts need to be directed. As I begin digging around this main root, many of those smaller, symptomatic behaviors will be reduced as a result. I’ll always have dandelions, just maybe not as many as before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment