Lojong Cards and Booklet

Lojong Cards and Booklet
This self-published deck and booklet are the intellectual property of Beverly King. Please do not copy or reproduce any photos or blog posts without permission.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Slogan Forty-three

Observe these two, no matter what.
          People generally marry with the expectation that their vows will at least last longer than the honeymoon. But what happens when she realizes his idea of cleanliness and order doesn't match hers, or when he discovers she can't cook like mom? Hopefully their commitment to love will go deeper than any petty disagreements or challenges that arise. This slogan refers to the vow of refuge and the vow of the bodhisattva taken by those who choose to formally dedicate themselves to Buddhist practice. The vow of refuge involves accepting the Buddha as an example to follow, the dharma as truth, and the sangha as their community of fellow practitioners. The vow of the bodhisattva is a devotion to the welfare of all sentient beings. For those of us with an informal practice, these vows might simply mean a commitment to continue working on ourselves and helping others. As Norman Fischer explains, "Live your life with your eyes and heart wide-open. No matter what."
Photo: Blooms of a geranium and a begonia held in the hand of a Buddha statue.

            How well do you make and maintain personal commitments, dedicating yourself to a cause or activity? I’m very good at making them, but keeping them is not as easy. My “I” eventually thinks it deserves a break, which usually leads me to abandoning my commitment altogether. I was recently reading an article by Thupten Jinpa in which he spoke of turning intentions into motivations. He described an intention as deliberate, “an articulation of a conscious goal,” while he explained a motivation was “the desire to act accompanied with a sense of purpose.” My intention might point me in the right direction, but it is my motivation which will get me moving and provide the fuel to keep me going. What could possibly motivate my intention to develop wisdom and compassion while devoting myself to the welfare of others? Suffering. Buddhist teachings and practices are a map that points the way to freedom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment