Lojong Cards and Booklet

Lojong Cards and Booklet
This self-published deck and booklet are the intellectual property of Beverly King. Please do not copy or reproduce any photos or blog posts without permission.

Monday, May 2, 2016

Whatever you meet unexpectedly, join with meditation.

Cooper's hawk - photo from Wikimedia Commons

          My backyard is full of bird feeders designed to entice a variety of birds. As I relaxed and watched the avian activity from my porch one afternoon, a gray hawk swooped down and grabbed a smaller bird. It happened so suddenly, I was completely taken by surprise. It took a few seconds for me to even register what had happened. No matter whether they are astonishing or horrifying, these unexpected moments have a way of stopping the mind. This brief gap when all concepts seem to dissolve offers us a chance to rest in alaya - the natural, spaciousness of the mind. But once our conditioning kicks back in ("Where's my bird book? I should have had my camera!"), we can move from an absolute bodhicitta experience to a relative bodhicitta one. In the case of something wonderful, I can send out the wish for others to experience this joy; if unpleasant, I can embrace the suffering of others and breathe out comfort and peace. No matter how the unexpected shows up, it is a chance to widen the heart. 

We are one blink away from being fully awake.  ~ Pema Chodron

For more information on the sixteen slogan, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment